HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hardcore Backpack hunting gear?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
FarNorth
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hardcore Backpack hunting gear?

Pete,

I've been backpacking and backpack hunting for longer than I'd like to admit. Three words.....Ounces Make Pounds!

It's already been pointed out that your choice of sleeping bag is too heavy. You should be able to get a good bag in the 3 pound range, no problem. I don't really want to get into the down vs. synthetic debate, but I use nothing but down bags. They are a lot lighter and will outlast a synthetic bag about 10 to 1. Look at Thermarest sleeping pads.

There are lighter tents for you want to do too. The big question is how much do you want to spend? I'm sure you already know that top quality lightweight gear is spendy. My favorite tents are made by Hilleberg. You can google them and find their web site. Nothing stronger for the weight IMHO.

I think your choice of stoves is good, the pocket rocket is hard to beat. I agree about water treatment of some kind too. Boiling water uses way too much fuel. I started using a Steripen last year after numerous years of using filters. I'm sold. Only four ounces, and after using it for weeks in the bush last fall, I'm still alive to talk about it.

I do have to disagree with what was said about the Mountain House freeze dried food. I think most of their food is pretty good. Just supplement it with some snacks and you're good to go.

Hope this helps a little.

Ken