HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weatherby should adopt the .220 Swift
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weatherby should adopt the .220 Swift

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

yea I noticed those prongs, and mass, esp down low. Is that big/huge for South Dakota? Common? Public land was he taken? How is the public land there?
I'm not overly experienced, as far as the speed goats go - I've only been hunting them a few years - so take my opinion for what it's worth, I guess. I think he's pretty good for out where I hunt(NW corner of SD).Again, not the tallest or widest - I have seen several that are 14" + and have bigger spreads - but I haven't yetseen any others with the girth or the big prongs like he has. Most of the big goats I've seen have been pretty thin.

Yep, he was on public land. A lot of the land out there is either owned/run by the Bureau of Land Management or is privately owned, but designated 'walk-in' land that's open to public hunting. There's quite a few goats out there, but they sure wise up to which land is public and which is posted real quick. And thewalk-in land can be kind of brutal if you decide to shoot something over a mile into it and then you have to drag it all the way back out.