HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weatherby should adopt the .220 Swift
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weatherby should adopt the .220 Swift

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Well weatherby does have their own rounds from .223 all the way up to .458 caliber, but their .223....called the .224 weatherby......is the same as a .22-250, so I don't think they even make rifles in their own .224wby anymore .....so essentially what I'm saying is ditch the .224wby and replace it with the .220 swift since its still king of the .223's which all of their rounds are kinda based on velocity and then maybe help make the swift more popular....they chamber .22-250 I think, so that's essentially what I'm saying.

No, they do not make the .224 Wby anymore. If you find a gun for sale in that caliber, and are a collector of weatherby's... you really ought to pick it up... they are worth quite a bit from what I understand.

As for the .220 Swift being the king of .223s.... I disagree and I suspect Weatherby would as well. Weatherby is interested in selling rifles. The .220 Swift is certainly a great cartridge, but its ammunition and firearm sales I would suspect are less than 1% of what the .223 is. From a marketing, profitability standpoint... the .223 is the king of the .223s. Weatherby is not interested in making a football bat.

With the economy going in the crapper, and free spending income reducing, I think they should focus on making a rifle that is fairly inexpensive to purchase, and fairly inexpensive to shoot. I think they might ought to consider reintroducing their Mark XXII SEMI-AUTO, in .22 LR, .22 WMR, .17 HMR and .17 HM2, and sell it at a price point comparitive to TC's Classic/Benchmark 22's.