HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?

My experience owning a grand total of 6 M77's both tang and wing safety models and about 50 different Model 700's of all ranges. The accuracy is very comparable.

Ruger barrels are made by a third party and they spend about 18 dollars on a barrel.
(that's what the writer quoted at the time, about 10 years ago

Ruger Barrels are not made by an outside vendor for 18 dollars. They are made in house. AS of matter of fact Bill Ruger hired one of the best custom barrel makers in the US and created his own barrel department. Ever watch the discovery channel and their is a show about famous American manufacturers. Ruger was featured on one show. The guy that used to play Norm on cheers is the host. He visited the Ruger factory and the barrel manufacturing department was so clean you could eat off the floor.

IMO Ruger has always had quality control issues. I have had several that needed to go back and I have had a couple that shot like raped apes. It's a crap shoot, one I preferred not to take so I stayed with remingtons. That said, remington has had some QC issues of late and I hear the trigger on the 700 seems to be their latest issue. They do have a new trigger from the 40x that they are installing on select 700s now, that is getting good reviews.

Hmm this was the clincher ...I have never ever sent a Ruger back to the factory . I had to dial their customer service twice in the last 37 years. Both because of used and abused Rugers that I purchased one a Number 1 and the other was a red label. When sent in they were serviced N/C and within 2 weeks or even less time frame. Their customer service is second to none. Do you want to guess how many Remingtons have gone back? Their quality slowly went down hill in the late 80's. Their Triggers were an issue since they were first manufactured and million dollar lawsuits only prove that . Just do a google search on the Walker Trigger Design.

If your a perfectionist then buy a Sako ..take it out of the box install a scope and take it to the range and then go hunting with it. Next best thing that won't screw up out of the Box is a Browning Abolt then work your way down the food chain. Weatherby Vanguard is a good solid choice as well just replace the trigger with a Timney(1 phillips head screw installation) and your good to go.