HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Remnard
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington CDL or Ruger M77 Hawkey?

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I'm still tossing aroung which caliber would be the best "all around" one for me.....but I would like to get some opinions from the more experienced shooters/hunters on accuracy.

If I went with a .30-06 for instance, should I expect the Remington or Ruger to be more accurate out of the box?

In my expeience the Remington has always been more accurate

The Remington 700 really seems to have a reputation for great accuracy, and after looking at both the CDL and M77, the 700 looks to have a little heavier contour barrel which I usually equate to more accurate....although I could be wrong. The rifle will be strictly for hunting deer and hogs, so no competitive target shooting. I'm a little of a perfectionist, so I know I'll be seeking the load that shoots the smallest groups out of my rifle.

Ruger barrels are made by a third party and they spend about 18 dollars on a barrel.
(that's what the writer quoted at the time, about 10 years ago)

Also, in standard and magnum calibers, the Remington CDL has a 2" longer barrel.How much difference in bullet velocity should someone see with the extra 2" AND how would that make any difference in how effective the caliber was?

The 2" would add up to about 60-70 feet per second faster, which for all practical purposes you would never notice.

I've always been fond of the 7mm. Rem. Mag, but I dont know if I want to tote around a 26" barrel gun if 24" is just as good.
Get a gun capable of a heavier bullet, i.e. 30-06. This is important in my opinion for hogs. Not that a 7mm mag wont take any pig down, it just might make a difference at longer distance, especially when shot placement goes a rye.

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated

IMO Ruger has always had quality control issues. I have had several that needed to go back and I have had a couple that shot like raped apes. It's a crap shoot, one I preferred not to take so I stayed with remingtons. That said, remington has had some QC issues of late and I hear the trigger on the 700 seems to be their latest issue. They do have a new trigger from the 40x that they are installing on select 700s now, that is getting good reviews.

AS the other poster stated look at the weatherby vanguards, I have a weatherby in 338-06 ultralightweight and its dead nut accurate shooter. Savage has a great reputation also as a good shooter. A frined of mine has a 110 in -06 that shhots 3 shots you can cover with a dime at 100 yds.