HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - well, what now?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: well, what now?

I've been crappie fishing a bit, but I'm already focusing on prespawn bass. The hickory and American shad are running in the river, and the temp needs to come up another degree before it gets hot and we can have 100+ fish days (no kidding). I am a rabid turkey hunter of course, and about mid way through the season the stripers run from the bay up the James River into the rapids in the middle of Richmond, which is always fun. That will last through late may. Around June, its bass fish when I can, and bum rides offshore for the big fish. I'm heading to Maine again for the first time in a few years in July/August to fish a few lakes and streams, go white water rafting and tour the coast. A week there and its down to NY to fish Oneida Lake and Lake Ontario and visit with some family that lives there on Oneida.

I shoot 3D archery tournaments about every other weekend all summer, and try to shoot skeet or sporting clays as often as possible. I work with Dutch (the swamp collie) every day a little bit to keep him polished.

By late summer, all I'm thinking about is doves. Behind turkey and waterfowl hunting, doves are my next love. I'll chase them all September long and intermittentely shoot resident geese and a few teal if there are any to be shot (usually don't have much of an early teal season here) and start scouting for archery season. October is for bow season, as is early November. Once duck season opens, deer hunting pretty much stops save a few social hunts with friends around the holidays.