HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New toy comming!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New toy comming!

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Thanks Hoss! This one has the laminate stock and the Bushnell scope if the Fire Fly model! If this scope works out well I may switch to the Elite on my deer guns! Anyone have any experiences with the Savage 17 HMR or the Bushnell Elite 3200?
I have a savage 17hmr with AT, plain janer- walnut/bluedbull barrel. Like Hoss it's the best off the rackconsistent shooter Icurrently own.I have done nothing but shoot and clean it. Mine will shoot both 17gr and 20gr 1" or better 100 yards. I have been using the 20gr xtp as being on the prairies wind is common and found they don't drift as much as the 17 vtip.It see's mostly paper but has taken out samll game such as; gohpers, tree rats (squirrels), skunk, racoon, muskrat, crowsand even a few bush partridge(ruff grouse). Very pleased with it.

As far as the elite 3200 I have also been pleased with it's services. Never used the firefly reticle, though have heard at near dark or dark the posts are too big causingthe axis to wash out (gone). Not reccomended for DG but I doubt thats your usage model. More scope then you'll probably need on the .17, however if you don't have another home for it'll work nicely. What power?You'll want at least 10x if you plan to shoot small critters out past 100 yards. Mine came with a 2.5x10 it works fine on the range to shoot 200 yards, however gopher heads at 200 I'd like a little more. Only problem is to get the gain i need to spent more then i am willing for this rig at this time.

Fun gun...enjoy