HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270-308 Do we need one?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: .270-308 Do we need one?

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

As for .264" and .284" bullets being ballistically superior to .277" bullets - theballistic properties of any caliber bullet depend on two factors-their sectional density (weight IN POUNDS divided by the square of the diameter in inches)and their form factor, or shape. (Sectional density / form factor = ballistic coefficient-B.C.) So if you take bullets of any given caliber, givethem a specific sectional density and identical form factors,they will ALL be ballistically IDENTICALregardless of their diameter - .264", .277", .284, .308", whatever. Of course, to remain ballistically identical, the shape has to remain the same, and weight must increase as diameter increases to maintain identical SD's.............
Do you work for Sierra bullets? Because I called Sierra a few weeks ago, and the guy who I taked to spurted off a line of BS like that at me too. I didn't know what the hell he was saying, but he sure did say a lot of it! It went something like this:

Shato: "I'm looking for a bullet for my 22-250. It shoots 50 gr. Nosler ballistic tips well, but not 50gr. Sierra varminters. I've always been partial to sierra bullets, any thoughts?

Sierra bullet Nerd:
"Well, Sectional density this blah blah, blah, Ballistic coefficient that blah blah blah, Cosine this blah blah blah, Tangent that blah bla blah. No if you divide the square root of the earth circumfrence by the cube root of the Diameter. and multiply the product by the tangent of the cosine of the lunar eclipse. then use quantum physics to determine the twist rate of your barrel. blah blah blah.....................

Shato:
"maybe I'll try Blitzkings, thanks!" hang up