HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Truck suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Truck suggestions?

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: mustad

I agree with almost everything said, except I'd go for the crewcab. I have an extended cab, and it's just a bit tight with kids. With hunting buddies, it's a nightmare if you need to go long distances.

I must say, I was a bit dissapointed with the news I heard about the gas mileage on the new duramax engines this year. Seems they aren't doing any better as my 6.0 L gas V-8.

Gas wise, I think you're looking at $ 150/week.
my 2500 HD Sierra 4x4 with a 6.0 Liter gets 10 miles a gallon. my father in laws new 2500 HD Silverado 4x4 with the Duramax diesel gets approximately 20-22 miles a gallon.
Chip and mod the airflow you'll get the same (possibily a little better) then the dmax. Have 2 friends who have done it and they seem like different trucks -both MPG's and performance is way up. Cheaper then a diesel.

I have an 05 ram 1500 crew 5.7L I get 16 - 18MPG doesn't sem to matter if it's loaded or empty. Lots of power and good ride. I am chipping it this year,I am told to expect5-8MPG betterand it to run cooler under load...main reason for doingit. Ihave changed the springs and installed air bagsas i haulan enclosed trailer and some heavy loads in her bed. Right now i ain't buying a diesel at the price to fuel it, more then gas[]!Everything on a diesel is more, oil changes, tires wear quicker, etc. Another fact they don't like our cold weather means on a job site i need to have it running a lot throughout the day, my gas I rarily have to worry about cranking it over for fear of starting after a day of sitting in -30 weather.

Best truck i had for gas mileage was my 99 chev with 5.3L. Empty she'd run mid 20's, under moderate load it would dropslightlybutunder heavy load that little 327 worked and she'd drink a bitmore dropping into the teens. Still a great truck, had it been a crew cab i would never have sold it. Ext'd cab just didn't offer the room I need for the family, work, etc.

I agree get a crew if your back seat will be used regularily for people.