HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dall Sheep Hunt 2009
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

ORIGINAL: FarNorth

I think it all depends on your expectations. I mean do you want a 40" or a good representative animal? As far as I'm concerned any leagal (full curl in AK) is one heck of a trophy. I think you might have already answered this.
As was said already the trophy quality is better in Canada than Alaska. Ten years ago that wasn't true, but Alaska's sheep hunting has gone downhill in the last few years, both in numbers and horn length.
I started guiding sheep hunts here in AK in 1990 and ave to say the glory days for white sheep here are gone. I do know a handful of small guide operations up here who are still doing well though. If you want some names let me know.
Well obviously I would love a 40+" who wouldn't. But, as you said any full curl ram would be a trophy.

I would greatly appreciate the names and contact info. for the guides you refered to.

Since you're from Alaska I would like to pick your mind a bit. I've read about the Brooks range, The wrangels, and the alaska range. From my reading Its hard to tell which would be the best. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Also, I've gotten some information from Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters. Are you familiar with this outfit? If so what are your thoughts.