HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turtle Shell Turkey Call: How To???
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Wapiti Scott

Default RE: Turtle Shell Turkey Call: How To???

Hey JW !

Can I use that pic on my Testimionial Page?

Dave's correct. Absolutely nothing illeagal about using Red Eared Slide turtle shells. All the one's I use in my custom callsare commercially raised.

I have made a couple of calls using box turtle shells that the CUSTOMER insisted that they wanted me to use andsent me, even though they know that they might get in trouble, but who is gonna find out?
I tell them and they understandthat if by some strange reason they would get caught, I'm not the responsible party... their shell...NOT mine ! I don't sell em...only Sliders.

I find it funny how the NWTF will not allow ANYnaturalshell calls in any oftheir custom callmaker's competitions because of that law (btw, when was the last time you saw or heard of anyone deliberately killing a Box turtle just to make a call out of it? I never have and I've been around turkey hunting since 1974) yet on their website, Keck has an article on how to make aBOX turtle shell call...Duh !

I've tried to convience them they should change their "One Shell Fits All" rule on this issue and I get the same response..." It's not US, it's the State's laws". O.K., I agree about the use of Endangered Species, but how about turtles raised for meat? Can't get a straight answer. Maybe they can't or just refusetell the difference.

BTW, I encourge all my customers to use my calls out in the field..their more that just "pretty", lol !
Scott