HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you eat Northern Shovelers?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 PM
DucksUnlimited987

Default RE: Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

ORIGINAL: rbduck

ORIGINAL: Chris M

I tried making jerky out of the last couple spoonies I had in the freezer, and all I ended up with was dog treats.

I breasted the ducks, cut the meat into small strips, soaked it in salt water for 24 hours. Rinsed & soaked in salt water for another 24 hours. Let it marinade in a soy sauce, garlic, chili powder mixture for 24 hours, and put the strips in the dehydrater overnight. The jerky was done this morning. I took one bite, and after chewing on it for about 10 seconds, I spit it out and started dry-heaving as I reached for a carton of orange juice to wash out the flavor.

Maybe the spoonies in other places don't taste as bad, but the ones I got in Alviso (Just outside San Jose, CA) are just plain nasty. At least the dogs like it, so it's not going to waste.
Correct me if I am wrong but to me this reads as if you have been soaking the meat in salt water for 36 hours(soya is salty). This just might be your problem as to why they taste bad.
Buy yourself a box of High-Mountain Jerky Cure and just follow the instructions, it`s real easy. I`ve done duck, goose, deer, and bear with the same cure. Different flavours too.

Ron

Correct me if Im wrong, but salt water soaking has long been a remedy for that "gamey" flavor some folks seem to taste, I for one have never had shovelor, and I dont really know what a gamey flavor is like, but my dad and I both soak our game birds in salt water for a day or two prior to cooking or freezing, takes out alot of the blood too.