HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Bama turkey hunt
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
SouthernStrut56
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Bama turkey hunt

Definitely ridges. My land has the perfect combination of piney ridges, oak hollows, creeks and about 60 acres of flat fields along the river. 90% of the time I never go down to the fields. Here's a few tips that have scored many birds for me. If you're planning to hunt on a cold, windy, or rainy morning, look for the birds to be bunched up in the pines. I spooked about 30 birds off the roost in some pines one day last season when it was colder than normal. After they flew, they ran around calling like crazy trying to find each other. I did some kee kees and assembly yelps and had em running over me. Also when it rains, look for the birds to hit the fields and open areas. They certainly dont hear very well in the woods while its raining. Same for wind. Lastly, don't give up on a bird after he stops gobbling and doesnt come to you. Wait him out, because usually after hes done flirting he'll go lookin for more, and many times he'll start gobbling his head off again if you call to him right. I've killed many birds from about 10:30 to 12:30 by just clucking and purring on a ridgetop. Good luck, let us all know how big he is when you knock his head off. HEY ARJUNA, that pic of the strutter has me chompin at the bit!!!! You better put him to sleep opening day! Good luck!