HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 vs 30-30
Thread: 243 vs 30-30
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 vs 30-30

ORIGINAL: dean790

A friend and I went to the range yesterday, and after many years I finally got to shoot a 270 and a 30-06 again. They both had heavy recoil. To me, neither was fun to shoot because of this recoil. I've been looking to purchase a high power rifle, and I am now considering a 243. Although, I don't believe this would work to hunt pig. A 30-30 is also a consideration, but I've had a few people tell me that the new Winchesters and Marlins are notwhat they used to be. From theresearch I've done, I believe the 30-30 wouldbe good for almost all of myneeds. Any suggestions
The .30/30 will do what you want, but has decided range limitations. The .243 will work for any game lighter than the hugest bull elk, moose, or big bears. My daughter-in-law kills elk every fall with a .243! But for game like elk, boar or smaller "hogs", you mightneed to use a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition or TSX to penetrate the gristle plates hogs are armored with.

Other possibilities include the .260 Reminton, 6.5X55mm, and the 7/'08. These rounds out-perform the .30/30 and .243, but have manageable recoil. If you can find a good .250 Savage or .257 Roberts, these would be ideal, but IMO they both need handloaded ammo to attain their potential. Or you could get a .270 or .308 Win. with a good Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and shoot it enough to overcome your recoil sensitivity.....