HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Basic questions I can't answer
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Basic questions I can't answer

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

What is the difference between 2f and 3f triple seven powder?

Are all 209 primers created equally or should I gear toward a certain one (encore pro hunter)?

Does 2 - 50 gr pellets of triple seven "fire" differently than 100 gr of loose triple seven?

---Thanks again, sorry for the rookie ?'s but I'm trying to get up to speed quickly.
the difference between 2f & 3f is the size of the grain. The 3f are finer in size then 2f. Also they produce a little more barrel pressure, and some claim faster ignition although I do not see any difference in ignition time.

All 209 primers are not alike. Some are hotter then others. In many rifles the hottest is not always the most desired. Especially when shooting Triple Se7en because of the crud rings that can form. Some Remington Kleenbore Primers, Winchester Triple Se7en primers, or Winchester W209 would work just fine in your rifle with pellets.

2 fifty grain pellets are not equal in strength to 100 grains by volume of Triple Se7en powder. 85 grains of the loose Triple Se7en would be APPROXIMATELY equal in a perfect world to 2 pellets to produce the same velocity. I find it closer to 90 grains actually. When shooting loose powder a magnum load is 120 grains of loose powder as most figure.