HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Fletchead

Default RE: Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

I punched some numbers at jacksons just for the fun of it. What can I say, I get bored. Not enough k.e. gain from 400 to 300 to warrent it anyway.I think you have to get up around 800 f.p.s. before a deer cant string jump at 20, so that doesnt matter. Correct me on that if Im off, but I think Ive read that number somewhere. It may even be faster than that, but thats the number that jumps out at me. As far as arrow drop if you could find the guru who could tune f.b. b.hds. to fly at 400 the 12 inches of arrow drop difference at fourty might be worth it. Then again, if your bow explodes every other shot it would be cheaper to buy the range finder. Yeah, range finder makes more sense. Two or three limbs exploding upside your head, and youll probably be looking for another hobby anyway. Fruit of the Loom stock would definately take a rise. Robinson labs would most definately have to come out with scentlock undies, so as not to offend others in your hunting party. " Hey Frank, smells like another limb let go." Hey Mathews gives a keychain, hat , and sticker with each new bow. High Country could give charcoal underwear, handi wipes, and two free therapy sessions at the therapist of your choice if this bow sells. Yessir, range finder might be a better choice.

400 f.p.s. 70 lbs. at 3 grns. per pnd. = 210 grns. 74 lbs. of k.e. arrow drop at 20 yds.---- 5 inches. at 30yds.---- 11 inches. at 40yds.--- 20 inches.

350 f.p.s. 70 lbs. at 4 grns. per pnd. = 280 grns. 76 lbs of ke. arrow drop at 20 yds. 6 inches----at 30 yds.---14 inches. at 40 yds.----25 inches.

300 f.p.s.70 lbs. at 5 grns. per pnd=350 grns. 70 lbs. of ke. arrow drop at 20 yds.--- 8 inches, at 30yds.---- 18 inches, at 40 yds.----32 inches.