HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunter safety system
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
PA Hardwoods

Default RE: hunter safety system

ORIGINAL: rustynut

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

If you purchase one get the Pro Mesh one. It is a bit lighter than the reversable one I own. I also didn't care for the attachment system to the tree so I used the same system as summit uses with their harnesses. A rope with a prusic knot and a carabiner to attach to the prusic knot. A much better system IMHO. But it is a great harness for ease of getting on and off, and if you need to drag a deer and the little pockets are very handy. I know some guys complain about leg pinch from the leg straps if you would fall but IMHO it is better to get some pinching and slight bruising than to end up with broken bones or worse dead.

I also switched to the summit style rope, it allows me to go up and down the tree while still harnessed to it. I wear mine under my hunting clothes, after 10min I don't even know its on.

Agreed Rustynut. I run a climbing rope from the base of my tree to above my fixed position stands with a prusic knot on it so I can be attached from the moment I leave the ground all the way up the tree and into the stand. That way there is no hooking and unhooking.