HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - boy some bow hunters just make me sick
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
ben673

Default RE: boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Here in Missouri we are looking at an across the board 4 point on at least one side restriction and possabilya one buck per year limit.
Moving our anterless rifle season to early Oct., like the first weekend of the month.
Moving the start of rifle season to the Sat. beforeThanksgiving so it catches the tail end of the rut.
And moving themuzzel loader season to later in Dec.
Bow season will still be open from Sept.15th - Jan. 15th, except during the 10 days of rifle season, when you can still bow hunt but you have to have a rifle tag.
Youth rifle season will still be the last weekend of Oct.

Thiswill help protect younger bucks, andharvest more does. But, more importantlyhaving the rifle seasonduring Thanksgiving break will give kids 2 or 3 more days to hunt with out skipping school and we need all the kids hunting we can get. Also, as a teacher and coach it will let me use my vacation daysto bow hunt during the best part of the rut.

As for a week of no hunting during the rut to protect mature bucks, thats crazy. Killing mature bucks is the #1 goal of most serious hunters. I'm not saying it's the only reason we hunt or even the most important. I'm just saying, most hunters want to know there's at least a reasonable chance of killing a mature buck or were gonna lose a lot of enthusiasm, and eventually a lot of hunters and would be hunters.

P.S. Every state should allow rifles for deer gun season, specifically the .30-06!