HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Buck Magnet

Default RE: Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

Koontzy,

That speed is easily possible, but, what he didn' t tell you is the grain per inch of arrow weight the guy is shooting and how incredibly dangerous it is. High Country has come out with there " indestructable" bows. They advertise that you can shoot any weigh arrow and the bow won' t break. I have heard at the AMO show, they were bragging about this and put one of there bows in a machine to dry fire it, well, BOOM, it blew up.

So, the guy is shooting an under-weight arrow, but not according to High Country. He is probablly shooting in the mid 2-3 grains per pound. Which is ridiculously low. As IBO goes, 5 grains per pound is the minimum, and most hunters want to stay at atleast 6 grains per pound or high.

My hunting rig now will be shooting 425.4 grain arrows. And, I will be getting speeds around 280-285 f.p.s. with everything on the bow. I will also be making roughly 87 pounds of KE and will have enough momentum to punch a hole through a concrete wall. This guy, will be probablly be getting a okay amount of KE, but, his momentum will be terrible. A light arrow is easier to stop than a heavier arrow. Think of it this way, if you drop a empty pop can into you hand, and then a full pop can, which one is going to make your hand move more (or more difficult to stop)?