HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Input on my patterning
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM
turkeygirl2
Fork Horn

Default Input on my patterning

Need your input on my patterning....I've been posting this around trying to get ideas on what to do.

I started patterning my Mossberg 500 20 ga Super Bantam turkey gun. Was using the factory x-full choke with it and the H.S. Undertaker choke with it. Shot it yesterday with some Fed. Mag Shok #6 and some Remington Supreme #5 I think they were. The gun has the fiber optic sights from Mossberg on it and the rear sight is adjustable. I shot at 20 and 30 yards and no matter what, I had the rear sight adjusted all the way down and my pattern was still hitting 2" high, even at 30 yards! The pattern was more spread out at 30 yards, but if it wasn't high, I'd have an alright pattern.

So before going out today, I tried tightening the screw/bolt that you loosen for removing the barrel, incase that had anything to do with it. I only had 5 Fed #6 left, but I took out some 2 3/4 #7 small game shells out anyway. Below is a photo of what I got at 20 and 30 yards...still high. The left side of the photo is the Undertaker choke with a 2 3/4" #7 shell at 20 yards and a Fed #6 shell at 30 yards. The right side of the photo is a 2 3/4" shell at 20 yards out of the x-full choke, and same choke/shell combo at 30 yards:

So what's going on here? I know if I aimedl ower that might help, but how will I remember to aim lower when a big old bird is in front of me....I'd like to know what the issue is and fix it....

I'm going to get some Winchester #5 high velocity shells, those I remember in the past shot the best out of my big Mossberg 500 20 ga.

Is it going to be better to take of the factory sights and put on like a set of TruGlo sights?

Any recommendations for sights? any thoughts what the issue is?