HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold is the best!
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
nksmfamjp
Typical Buck

Default RE: Leupold is the best!

I too find Leupold's current quality level low for what you pay for. They are good, but when I compare them side by side at the $500 - $700 price point with others, they are the most expensive and worst performing, . . .glass, turrets, etc. I was much happier with my Burris XTR. I also thought Sightron had surprisingly goodglass. Burris also sent me some parts and fixed any issues I have had.

My dad has a $250 Leupold 3-9x40 Vari II. I think I'm saying that model right. It is like 10 years old. It will hold a zero on his 270 WSM, but takes some "coming around" to get it zero'd. Holding zero is good, and all he needs, but if I'm an inch low, I want to turn 4 clicks and hit the bullseye with my next shot at 100 yards. When you think your scope is good, try this from a good rest. Set your target up with a level at 100 yards(use a rangefinder). Shoot 5 shots at the bullseye(scope zero'd for the bullseye). Then shoot 20 shots like this: 1. Up 3MOA, R 3MOA, 2. Down 6MOA, 3. L 6MOA, 4. Up 6MOA, 5. R 6 MOA. Move the scope every shot. Compare the 4 outer groups to the bullseye group. For fun, you can number each round of 4 shots. Now compare the average group size for the four outer groups to the bullseye group.

I think I really got my eye opened to Leupold's quality sinking when I tried like 20 Leupolds at 6 different retailers in3 different states. I found at least 3 broken turrets, lenses which were coated giving off color representation, lack of flat focus. Some of these were Mark 4's. I would love to interview snipers who have carried them in battle. I can't believe that your average customer is cranking knobs in the store rougher than these guys. I did have a guy at one store tell me not to twist the turrets. He said I would break them. I thought he was just an idiot, but. . .hmm, maybe he knew something afterall![:-]