HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Mike from Texas
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What kind of truck/suv do you have for bowhunting ?

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

For you guys that have the Tacos, how well do they tow?
Pretty decently, granted there are some issues I wish Toyota would fix. The springs are the big issue. It's a 3-leaf pack that sags quite easily, and if done so on a regular basis, will send the springs into an accelerated wear (become S-shaped). Toyota issued a TSB for the rear springs which replaces the rear pack with a 4-leaf pack, and so far seems to be getting good results. The downside it's hit or miss with dealerships getting them to honor the TSB. Plus your truck must be in the 36,000/3yr warranty period for the TSB to be applied. I have the tow package which comes with the class 3 hitch/7pin connector, transmission cooler, and 130a alternator and a 6500lb tow rating. I wouldn't suggest towing loads like that regularly , but it will handle them. If you tow regularly, you shouldn't be driving an gas engine, let alone a midsize imho, but they do tow medium sized loads well.
Yeah, I'm not talking about heavy loads on a regular basis. Most of the time it would just be a Polaris Ranger on a 6x10 trailer and maybe a ton of feed occasionally. So for the most aprt 3000# would be the most I would tow or carry. I've been looking hard at the Tundra with the 5.7L but there are a few small quirks that I'm not sure about. I know the Tacos are well proven long term vehicles and that's what I'm looking for.

I love my Super Dutys, but it's getting hard to justify the cost of the truck and the additional cost of diesel fuel [:@] (don't even get me started on that one) especially when I don't tow that much.