HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

If you were to have or build a double rifle, of these 2 calibers which would you chamber it for? and why? Let's assume both would cost the same, and shoot just as accurate as the other. The 600 would weigh a few lbs more.

The .577 shoots a 750gr bullet at around 2000-2100fps
the .600 shoots a 900gr bullet around 1900fps

the .577 was used more during the ivory trade than the .600 which came into existence towards the tail end of it. Which would you want?
Of those two, I choose the .577 because it is plenty powerful enough for anything on planet earth, including Tyrannosaurus Rex, and has slightly less recoil than the .600.

But if I were having a double rifle built, it would be chambered for a much smaller round, and be made light enough that I would not have to hire a gun bearer to carry it!!

But if you insist on shooting a double that will knock you down and stomp you, look at the newer 700 Nitro, or a 4-bore, or a 2-bore. These last two fire 1/4pound and 1/2 pound round balls respectively, and their conical bullets weigh significantly more than that, like 2,000 grains plus. If you are not addle-brained before you fire one, you will be after!