HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are hunts so damn expensive???
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why are hunts so damn expensive???

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

Ive done 4 elk hunts, 3 in idaho, 1 in Montana, all DIY. If you can get 4 guys together it really helps keep the costs down. On each trip Ive spent right around 1,100 bucks to do the hunt, that includes lic. gas, lodging and food. I think alot of east cost hunters are intimadated for lack of a better word about where to begin, there worried they wont have a decent shot at a bull or worstwont see any game. My advice to you is study the game/fish web sites for western states, for the most part those will be, Idaho, Montana, Coloradoand Wyoming. Do your home work and by all means call the wildlife biologist for the area your thinking of hunting, they have always been a huge help to me. Also download google earth, it will give you a real good idea of the terrian and vegatation of the area your thinking of hunting. And then bite the bullet, your only a new western hunter the first time, heck last time I hunted Idaho I did it by myself and Im a dumb pennsylvania dutchmen, suck it up and go.

A buddy of mine sumed it up real good for me years ago, about doing what you dream of, his words were, No one has ever layed on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office.

If anyone would like some help in planning a hunt, drop me a pm, Im always glad to help out a fellow hunter!!!!
Yepper, Buckshot.

Do some homework and go for it without the use of a guide and I'll guarantee you you'll have just as much fun and save $$$. If anything esle use it as a scouting trip for the next year and your'll still be ahead and save some big $$$. Just do some homework. If you want someone to fix your breakfast and dinner and set you up in a stand and field dress your animal then your going to pay for Tom takeing care of you and making you feel comfortable. It all depends on your expectatations and as well as your comfort zone.

Bobby

Bobby