HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Non-Handloader Needs Handloader Expertise!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
richardca99
Spike

Default Non-Handloader Needs Handloader Expertise!!

I have a new Sako 85 in .25-06. I'm nota handloader, but I do like to get my hunting rifles shooting their best (within the limitations of factory ammo). This one has frustrated me a bit, as none of the five brands/loads that I've tried have printed under 1 moa. My plan was to have Superior Ammo load me up some of the combos that seem to have worked for other users on this forum, but I've gotten hung up on the subject of OAL.
[/align]Obviously, I don't know the exact OAL of my rifle. So I'm torn between either spending the money on an OAL gauge, comparator, modified case, and a box of bullets in hopes of being able to provide Superior Ammo with a precise OAL measurement with which to begin experimenting. Alternatively, I can try some additional factory offerings and hope that I hit on one that works (there are several good ones left).[/align][/align]Given that I don't intend to handload, am I getting too much in the weeds by bothering with the OAL measurement?What if I were to tell Superior to just use SAAMI specs for OAL, and then experimentwithbullet/charge combinations based on those specs? I suppose I could always thenhave him adjust OAL in small increments when I find one that looks promising.[/align][/align]Thoughts? Recommendations?[/align]