HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need help too well...catch fish!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
indianahunter83

Default RE: need help too well...catch fish!

It all really depends on what your pond has in the way of forage. For bluegills and crappie nothing usually beats a beetlespin when it comes to artificial. Live Bait I tend to prefer a beemoth over worms but either work fine. All of my sauger fishing is done in rivers but I usually do well with 3" curly tail grubs on round head jigs with and w/o a little nightcrawler you should experiment with colors until you find the one they prefer. (This will also catch the smallmouth) For smallmouth my favorite lures are a pearl colored fluke and a zara puppy but once again my smallmouth fishing is all river and creek fishing. For largemouth just mimic whatever you think they are feeding on. If you see a lot of crawfish burrows then use a spider grub (will catch smallies as well). If your pond isn't deep (though since it has saugers I kind of assume it is) then a baby 1-minus is usually a good lure to target largemouth. Basically its on you to throw different lures until the fish tell you what they like. My first 5 lures to try for largemouth would be 1)plastic worm (whatever color you desire I am a fan of the tomato worm or red shad) 2) some form of medium to shallow diving crankbait in a color matching whatever is the forage fish 3) white or white and chartreuse spinnerbat 4)spider grub (I like red fleck because when crawfish are soft shell they get a red color to them) 5) Frog (I threw this in because it is my all time favorite but use only if there are frogs habiting your pond and you will want some form of surface cover to drag said frog over.