HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Shooting At Big Game
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 08:23 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Long Range Shooting At Big Game

John B,

500 to 1100 yards -- wow!

Congrats on your talent. Those are truly impressive stats ESPECIALLY if they tend toward one shot kills since I imagine getting a second shot in while the critter is running would be a little difficult at 800 yards.

If what you say is just as it reads I' d say you are a prodigy with a rifle. When one has innate talent it is hard to personally understand why the rest of mankind don' t have it or can' t easily develop it. It' s the curse of possessing a talent that few will attain.

The part that worries me most about a TV show would be that regardless how much you conditioned it on rifle, practice, cartridge, practice, scope, and degree of practice required, related ethics, practice, etc, etc, etc is that there are too many sniper " wannabes" out there that aren' t prodigies (and never will be) and won' t practice and won' t spend for the equipment and are going to go out there with what they got (which is usually little more than daddy' s deer rifle) and try to emulate what you are capable of when there isn' t a chance in hell they can ever match up. In the mean time, who pays the price? Well first the game and then indirectly -- all of us.

I catch plenty of flak for using " plenty big" magnums since people automatically assume if you use that much power then you must like to shoot long. I love the result of a heavy magnum at ranges you would call " up close and personal" (100 to 250 yards).

How about a show on how to hunt, and how to stalk, and how to ambush game as close as possible instead as far as possible.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I salute your talent if it is as stated, but I can just hear the coyotes are licking their chops!

EKM