HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How filthy?
Thread: How filthy?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
SBEShooter
Spike

Default How filthy?

Ok you master ML cleaners,

I just got into the sport last year when I purchased my brother-in-laws Omega. Only problem is that he wasn't the best at cleaning it. Needless to say, I chewed on him pretty good when I ran some patches through it the first time. It was dirty (major understatement). He put about 20 to 30 shots through it with pyrodex pellets and about 10 to 20 with T7. Not sure of how well he cleaning between shots, etc. But it's dirty!

Not to bore you, but here is a condensed version of my cleaning and there is still some crud in the barrel!.

In this order: Hoppes, Butches Bore Shine,Break-Free CLP, Ballistoil, Liquid Wrench, HOTHOT HOT Water with soap, T7 Foaming Bore Cleaner. Inbetween most of these solvent and patch runs, I woulduseabrass brush and the patches would come outflithy. I washed the barrellast night withhot water and soap andmost of the powder ring near the breech was removed, butalittle still remains. I have put at least 6 rounds of foaming bore cleaner in it today and everytime,the patchesstill come out filthy.

Should I continue thefoameruntilthey come outclean or repeat the water and soap? Or should I goover to my Bro-in-law and smack him silly!?The barrel looks night and day compared to when I first looked in it! I also have a bore-light and could not see any signs of pitting, so I guess I got to it quick enough? After I get it clean, I plan on having a gunsmith take a look at it to make sure it's fine.

Thanks much!