HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For All you 223 Fans
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Splitear_Leland
Typical Buck

Default RE: For All you 223 Fans

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

What if you are offered a shot at a 250lbbuck at about 100 yards. He's quartering towards you so you need to get through the shoulder to hit the vitals. Will a 50gr bullet from a 223 have enough power at 100 yards to penetrate the heavy muscle and plow through the shoulder bone of a 250lb buck? will it getthrough that, wreck thevitals and exit in the back far quadrant of said buck? Sure, 50 yard shots at broadside standing deer is easy. A tough angle at the buck of your dreams? Why chance it with barely enough gun? Why not be prepared for anything?
Hi Barnes,
Possibly for the same reasons someone might take a bow out during gun season. Sometimes it's not just about killing. Maybe the hunter wants to use a 223 because he can and wants tochallenge him/herself to get closer to the deer than they would have had to with their 30-06 for example.
Yeah, I killed a deer with a high powered rifle, and it was a little high powered rifle, I wanted the challenge of killing a deer with a high powered rifle, without having all of that high power stuff. Just me, my high powered rifle, and the deer. That's the way they used to do it you know, just them and a high powered rifle. You want a challenge, take a deer with a low powered high power rifle, then you've really done something.