HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good day - 20min and a hot barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A good day - 20min and a hot barrel

Nothing so exotic. It's a stainless/fluted thumbhole stock Omega. I shoot 110gr FFg 777 and the 200SW. The gun was near-MOA when I got it, but had an issue with shifting POA when the torque on the action screws changed. I floated it, installed aluminum pillars, and bedded it. It is now just sub-MOA when I do my part.

I initially tried every single weight of Dead Center bullet with it, and the 200 and 250 SWs. The DC bullets are nice but I could not push them over 1800 fps before they lost accuracy (I know a lot of people with this issue, must be the soft lead). The BC of the 200SW is a little lower but is more than made up for by pushing it to 2100fps.

For 3-4 years I head a Leatherwood scope on it that had a cam adjustment so that after programming in the trajectory I could just set the cam to the right range and shoot. That died this summer, so I got a tactical-style scope now so I can set the exact number of clicks for the range (always laser ranged, of course). I don't like hold-overs/unders, imprecise. I don't know how much I shot it with the new scope but I burned 2 lbs of powder in a month and a half, so it was a "bit" of shooting to get familiar with the trajectory. It helps to have a 400yd backyard range.

Yup, my daughter already seems to like hunting shows. My wife just shakes her head....

Say yah to da UP, eh Tahquamenon? I did my undergrad at Michigan Tech...