HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Question?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newbie Question?

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I'm buying a new gun for coyte and praire dogs. I already have a .270 that I shoot pretty decent and a 300rum for big game. Here's my question, am I gonna be unhappy with a .223 or will it be fine for coyote hunting. I can always go down to 100 grain on the .270, but that may be considered over kill. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a .223 or a 22.250. I don't reload and the .223 is much cheaper to shoot for the prairie dogs. From looking at the ballistics my .270 can do almost anything that a 22.250 can do. Thanks in advance for your advice!
If the great majority of your shots will be inside of 300 yards or so, the .223 will be fine! IF you will be taking shots out to 500 yards, then the .22/250 or a .220 Swift would be better. Or that 204 Ruger! But for coyotes, unless you plan to sell the pelts for fur, I would work up a fast, accurate load in that .270 using the Sierra 110-grain bullet. I used to use such a load on varmints in New Mexico. It was amazing to see those jackrabbits and porcupines just turned into a red mist by that bullet, and at almost any range where you could see the target!