HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 25-06 and Ballistic tip's on game
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM
rbullom
Spike

Default RE: 25-06 and Ballistic tip's on game

When I've cranked the heavier bullet loads much higher I had pressure signs. The BC on the accubond is pretty good so even at the 3100 your're still looking pretty good at 3-4 hundred with sustained velocity and bullet drop. We haven't taken an elk with this load yet but did take a couple with 140 accubonds out of a 270 this year. I found one of themunder the skin in the opposite shoulder and weighed the bullet. It weighed right at 100 grains and leafedback like flower petals. Keep in mind that pushing the velocity too high causes severe meat damage at the closer distances. 3100 is really a good muzzle velocity for leaving something to eat when you done and getting good performance out of the bullet unless you can get the barnes or some other really high grade bullet like the lazzeroni's to shoot. Problem I've had with those in my hunting guns is the olgive makes the bullet so long I can feed them out of the magazine without seating them so deep it defeats the purpose of seating them right on the lands like a berger. The BT's at close range will break into pieces at close range if they hit bonewith the 3400fps.