HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Little help from the pro's..
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Little help from the pro's..

ORIGINAL: Planter

I have a quick question if you will folks or at least I hope it's quick.

If you wanted a decent low end ML for a few days of use a season other than range time what would you chose. It's not that I am cheap but I'm guessing there are some pretty good toys out there. I'm not thinking of glass and suchcause I figure I will start with aOK base to put it on.

I have an old .56 TC smoothbore. (I think it was called an New Englander)as well as a Traditions in-line from when they first came out. Neither were bad guns but things have come a long way.. That round ball out of the TC was like throwing a marble out past 40 yds and was not a really knock down killer.

Thanks....
See this thread: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2543499for a very inexpensive gun.
I think almost any rifle made today is a good starter rifle, then if you like MLing, and enjoy shooting them, save up and buy a better gun and a better scope. Another option is a used MLer, they have a section in our local Want Ads devoted just to rifles and MLers, gunbroker.com is also good, no FFL required for a MLer.
Chap Gleason