HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Angry with Butcher!
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Schobs
Typical Buck

Default RE: took 1 in the a$$

I'd say for the most part a hunter who has the slightest idea of what they're doing can sometimes get more meat than a butcher, mainly because they're trying to get as many deer done in as little time possible. I'd like to find a butcher who charges by how much meat they get off the deer, it may cost more, but the butcher would sure try harder to get as much meat as possible. I had a bad experience with a butcher this year, dropped a deer off on a wednesday and didnt get it backtil monday, with hair and tendons in the meat and about 40# plus steaks from a 120# doe. i think that chart is a little generous as to what you can get off a deer, i find it hard to believe theres 30# of meat on a 50# fawn. that just seems ridiculous, unless this "diner" eats things like hide and stomachs. I think 9th tine was closer on how much meat you should expect back, and by his estimates i got more back than expected. It's a bit of a hassle to butcher a deer, but its a good chance to prolong the hunting experience. heck one year we had so many deer in our camp we woulda went broke payin to get em cut up, so we hung em in the kitchen of our camp and cut up deer and watched football!