HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another still hunting question
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another still hunting question

Great question and it is indeed an issue. I almost exclusively still hunt in the northern woods of New England. One solution is to get a safari sling which can be bought from Cabelas or any of the other big stores. It allows your gun to stay in front of you between your waist and shoulders. It allows both hands to be free to use the binoculars and then just raise your gun to aim. You do have the right idea though...slow is best. Always take a few steps and look in 360 degrees all around you. If you make a noise just stop and let things rest before moving again. If it is really noisy with either crusted snow or dry leaves moving slow will often allow you to hear the deer moving.If they are on the move they will certainly be walking faster than you will be so you will hear them first. If it is quiet walking I often walk up to either bedding or feeding deer. Learn to use the terrain to your advantage and using the wind is most important. I find hunting like that to be the most exciting way to go.