HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another still hunting question
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 AM
drdi

Default Another still hunting question

This is probably a silly question, but I can't figure it out. I've been fascinated by reading accounts of hunters stalking and stillhunting deer. I've been reading articles about stillhunting and been trying it out in the woods this season. I know in general I am not moving slow enough but I am working on that. What I am having trouble with is the logistics. I've read about using binoculars often to scan through the brush to look for deer. I've read about keeping movements to a minimum too. So how do you manage your gun and your binoculars? If I am standing by a tree holding my gun in front of me with both hands, then in order to use my binoculars I have to either a.) sling my gun over my shoulder or b.) set my gun down. I need both hands to use the binoculars to effectively take my time scanning.

Seems like the least movement would be to walk through the woods with my gun already slung over my shoulder, but then if I need to make a kind of quick shot, it's not there.

I just don't get how I am supposed to manage carrying my gun and using the binoculars without moving too much. The land I hunt is flat as a pancake but lots of heavy understory and brush in spots. There are areas I can move through quietly without crashing through brush, but it always seems like if I do spook a deer, it is right on the other side of a thicket from me.

How does everyone else out there manage your gun and your binoculars and switching from holding on to one and then the other?