HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 221 fireball
Thread: 221 fireball
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Hunter App
Spike

Default RE: 221 fireball

Stumper, The fireball is a great round in the right application. I am sure that you are aware that shot placement is key in taking down a coyote with a 22 mag or .221 FB and any other caliber as far as that goes.
Suppose what folksmay besaying is that they would not feel comfortable with their abilitiesin a field situation beyond 200 yards. I know I would not be ableto reliably put the shot where it needs to be,beyond 200 yards unless I just happened to bepracticing on paper at the time.

If you regularly practice with your .221 FB out to 300 yards and are extremely knowledgeable about the bullet drop of your load from your rifle you may stretch things as far as 300 yards with the use of a laser range finder. Honestly I think 200 yards is a more realistic expectation for the bullet drop and wind drift you will experience from the fireball.

I am sure you may shoot better than me, so if you can consistently hit a 1.5” circle at 500 yards with your fireball you may be willing to stretch your field application to 400 yards on occasion.