HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you process your own deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Do you process your own deer?

ORIGINAL: 700xcr

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

People does not realize how labor intensive it is to make jerky and sasage. I heave people asking me to make them up a pound. for me to debone, and sort thru a hind quarter, and slice into 1/4" slices, and cure overnight, and dry takes hours.

Just to skin, quarter, debone, slice into steak, grind, package and put in a freezer takes me over 5 hours. So before jumping into the processing game, realize it takes some time.
I know it takes time but look at what the out come is. You know for sure that it is you animal not somebody elses and makes you appreciatewhen you have done from start (pulling the trigger)to finish (setting at the dinner table)when you take the first bit.
What I was trying to explain to the post was, the guy was upset at the price. But obviously doens't know all goes into it. I kill 5-6 deer a year, and couldn't afford to process them. But, I mostly steak them out and grill them. For a person who doens't like deer meat and wants only to make sausage adn jerky, processing makes much more sense.

I myself would quit deer hunting, if I didn't enjoy the meat. But thats me.