HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - which broadheads??
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
annika3
Fork Horn

Default RE: which broadheads??

ORIGINAL: Dopler

It depends on the rig your're shootingand the arrow you're using. If you're shooting 70LBS out of a fast bow and have the luxury of a longer draw length (28"+ =longer power stroke and more speed), you can get away with a expandable for whitetail but certainly not Elk. The MagnusSnuffer head is as good as I've seen and anyone shooting 50 or 60 LBS should not even bother with a mecanical in my opinion. If you can't get a fixed head to fly, add weight byswitching to aluminum arrrows, arrow flight and tuning the bow is more important than most archers realize.The biggest lie told to hunters is that carbon arrows penetrate better, theydo infoam targets or gelitin blocks but not inflesh, the smooth aluminum shaftenters the body cavitythrough the gaping wound cut by the broadhead and the smooth aluminum has less friction than carbon on the trek through the body. By switching to aluminum and a fixed head, you'llquiet your bow, add 10-15% more energy to your shot and you'll have much better down range power to boot.Hunting is not a3-D competition,the object is to penetrate and killthetarget on the other end.
Where do you get your ino that an expandable can't be used for Elk because I've seen a lot shot with the Rage the past couple years. And I have also seen a lot of deer shot by people shooting under 50lbs with the Rage without problems.