HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations

That's what it says!

Now go get yourself that Savage 10ML-II, you won't be disappointed! I'd recommend the version with the laminate stock. I picked the laminate stock for mine because the Savage composite plastic stocks aren't very nice. When you get the rifle, pick up a can of Accurate Arms XMR-5744 smokeless powder and a set of Lee Dippers (about $6, with the handloading supplies) to measure it with. 41-45 grains of 5744 under a 250 or so grain bullet and a MMP sabot has always yielded great accuracy and good velocity.

Also, since the change to the regs allowing smokeless powder may be new in Illinois, I'd carry the regs on my person at least for this year. You'd be surprised how many cops, including DNR officers, don't know or keep up with current laws. Might save you the hassle of fighting an unjust ticket if you run into a DNR bear in the woods.

Take a look at Natchez Shooters Supply (http://www.natchezss.com). It's where I ordered my Savage and the prices are good. I don't know how Illinois law is (with your states assinine FOID cards and such), but the Savage is considered by the BATF as a primitive weapon and therefore can be shipped to you direct without going through a FFL dealer. Just order it, and in a few days UPS will come bearing gifts! Nothing says giving like a UPS guy carrying a long narrow box at your door![8D]

Mike