HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Central UP Deer Camp (pics)
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Drew307
Spike

Default RE: Central UP Deer Camp (pics)

Those are some nice young bucks, butwhen you said no mature bucks this year.One look at those pictures and I can predict that next year you won't have any mature bucks either. Those deer are 1.5-2.5 years old and need a couple more years to grow to their potential. The rack size statistically explodes from the 1.5 -3.5 age bracket.Let em go, let em grow. My dad used to hunt the U.P. before the big die off of 96' and 97'. He would come home with his two bucks every year with a couple makingit into Boone and Crockett. If we ever want to see it get like that again in the U.P. the DNR is going to have to put point restrictions so the young deer can grow. Check out QDM of michigan,one of the best organizations to join for deer management. I love to harvest deer, but I love to hunt mature bucks even more. Alot of guys still refuse to shoot does and will shoot the smaller bucks. When you go to their house you see a wall in the garage or barn with tons of little racks and i think 1 or 2 more years and someof these bucks could be huge, what a waste!