HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
tourangeaud
Fork Horn

Default RE: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

I hunted Madison County Thursday - Saturday. Seen lots of deer and still the bucks are still trailing the does. Seen a monster buck that was to far away for a shot. He wouldn't respond to grunts or the can. However, a nice 8 pointer came in close enough, in response to my calls. Standing broadside to me, I placed the crosshairs just behind the shoulder blade. Pulled the trigger,saw the bright muzzle blast. But the deer was just standing still, continueing to look right at me. I was just waiting for him to drop. He didn't drop, so I chambered another shell and let it fly at the same spot. The deer was still staring me down. He didn't budge or even blink, after the 2nd shot from my 30-06. I chambered a 3rd shot, squeezed the trigger at the target, and finally seen the deer jump and take of running, before crashing 30 yards away.I checked the gun the next afternoon and it is dead on at 100 yards. This deer was standing only 50+ yards away when the shooting gallery was opened.I must have shot over top of him on the first 2 shots. However, the 3rd shot was right on themoney.