HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Selling a ML
Thread: Selling a ML
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Selling a ML

Between private citizens, an antique firearm in the United Statesis under a different set of rules. In some States a State and orFederal firearms form and back ground check might have to be made. Let me ask, can you purchase a firearm on line or from a store without all the background checks? For instance, I can purchase a black powder rifle on line and the seller can mail it right to my door. If you can I suspect you do not need to do all that paper work to see one. You could call local law enforcement agencies and ask them just to make sure. In some States, black powder rifles are not even registered to the owner.

I would make out a bill of sale for the rifle. In that bill of sale list a complete description of the rifle; make, model, serial number, caliber, etc. Also note on that who the seller is and who the person purchasing the rifle is. Make note of how you identified the purchaser. Then have something that you make note of that the person is of legal age to own the firearm, and that the purchaser informed you,there are no laws restricting the ownership of this firearm by the purchaser. Have them date and sign it with the agreed price noted. Make a second copy of that form and give that to them as well. Keep that original sales agreement for any future records, should the rifle ever be traced back to you through legal channels for any reason.

This is what I have done.