HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .308 VS 7MM rem. mag
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .308 VS 7MM rem. mag

I see by the posts that I am not alone! There seem to be many people that are torn between their .308 and 7MM RM!
If I had to give one of them up, I'd probably keep the .308 but hopefully, I'll never part with either one!
I did have a couple of bad experiences with the 7MM RM that have puzzled me and soured me on the 7MM RM. Two bucks that luckily I found, had exit holes that showed no expansion at all! Both were shot with 150 gr. Core-Locts at 50-70 yards. One buck ran about 15 yards with no blood at all, the second ran about 100 yards, there were a couple of drops of blood where he was standing, just enough to tell me I did not miss! I was just about to give up the search for the night, when I stumbled onto him. I am considered a good tracker, but you've got to have something to work with! I have heard of others with similar experiences.
I will try the 7MM again, but with lighter bullets. My theory is that most of the heavier 7MM bullets are designed for bigger game and possibly longer ranges, so unless you hit major bones, the Whitetail body is not enough resistance to cause the bullet to expand.