HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Swiss K31 for ELK
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
n0vr

Default Swiss K31 for ELK

I just wanted to put in a plug for the 7.5x55 Swiss K31 as a hunting rifle. I normally use my Savage 110 30.06 with 3-9 scope, but this year I took my 7.5x55 K31 out.

I use the St Pierre scope mount (aluminum model) that mounts to the side of the receiver, allowing use of the scope or the iron sites. This scope mount has proven to be very stable, and holds zero when removing and replacing back on the rifle. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 3-9.

For this hunt, I used Hornady Custom 7.5x55 with the 165gr BTSP (ordered from Sportsmans Guide). These rds are very consistent and hold nice tight groups with my K31 off the bench.

I had a cow tag this year, and came across a group of about 6 cows moving through the edge of a stand of trees. The shot was 125 yards across a small meadow. When I took the shot, she was facing left and slightly toward me. At the shot, she jumped and then staggered about 15 feet before dropping.

This cow was a big one. We estimate at least 450# on the hoof. After field dressing, skinning, legs taken off at the knees, and the head removed, ready to cut and package the meat, she weighed 311#.

In the picture, we have just winched her up to start field dressing.