HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slug gun help needed!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Soilarch

Default RE: Slug gun help needed!!!

I read the first page and this last page, sorry but I'm really don't feel like reading the two inbetween.

Let me share what I've found made a HUGE difference for me. (I'm from a no-rifle state, and it took me several years to learn these things.)

1. You've already got the barrel TIGHT, good!
2. You've already been told about letting the barrel cool, good!
3. As far as we know you gun was shooting fine for the first 2 or 3 shots? This can point to heat...but it can also point to a dirty barrel! I have a 12g 870 with a pre-1999 hastings cantilever barrel. I can usually get 3-5 good shots depending on what slugs I'm shooting before accuracy goes to CRAP, seemingly instantly!!! Now, I'm willing to admit it MIGHT be me. But what I do now is clean the barrel very well EVERY shot. (It's actually no more work than waiting every 3...I've tried it both ways) Whether it's the fact that the barrel has time to cool, or that fact that the barrel stays clean, or the fact I have enough rest between shots, I can now get my repeatable 4MOA accuracy for my 870. I'd like better...but 4MOA is a dead deer, and I often can get down to 3MOA.
4. You just HAVE to find what your particular gun likes. I've tried several dozen types of 22s in my ruger...and notice only small differences. I see huge differences in my slug gun. For whatever reason mine DOES not like the faster cor-lokt remingtons. I haven't tried the Hornadys. I don't feel a need to because I found it loves the either the Federal Hydrashocks or Barnes expanders. I shoots the buckhammers nearly as good and they make a .73 hole instead of .5 hole...so I keep them on hand as well for really close/thick stuff.

So, what I'm I trying to say? Try more ammo, and clean between EVERY shot. At least until you figure something that works for you and your gun.