HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SMOKING and PEEING out of your stand does NOT affect your hunt!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: SMOKING and PEEING out of your stand does NOT affect your hunt!!!

ORIGINAL: GregH
Here's my personal scent control regimen:
1) Shower the evening before so my pores aren't wide open when I step out into the cold.I use any regular shampoo and Irish spring soap.

2) When I get up I apply my old spice deoderant and put on fresh, regularly washed underwear, socks and tee-shirt.

3)Then I put on my long underwear and remainder of my hunting clothes (mostly Treebark) that are only washed in plain water and air dried outside.

4) Check the weather (wind) one more time and jump in the truck and drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all the way there while listening to Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. Really loud.

5) A good one for the way home is Queens....Another one bites the dust.[:-]

Side note: Every stand I set has a down wind side that blows my scent totally away from or over the top of deer that come from where they aren't supposed to. If the wind isn't right I won't hunt.
Classic stuff here....

That's pretty much my approach to it as well (without the smoking)I wash the night before as well and I use deodorant, minty toothpaste, nice smelling shampoo, the whole works. I know guys who won't shower for days while hunting...I just laugh and say "If the wind isn't right, the deer are either going to"wind" a good smelling human or a bad smelling human...either way they're going to smell you."

I'm a big proponent of stand selection based on wind direction and thermals as well. For instanceI'll hunt a lower stand in a hollow in the mornings when the thermals are rising that I would never get into for an evening hunt no matter what direction the wind is.

Good stuff Greg.......