HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Hey guys, well I'm back from IL with my buddy, and sad to say...didn't connect on one. I saw some dandy's...and passed quite a few small bucks--but just couldn't get a big one close enough. Had a great trip and if I go back next year I will certainly have a leg up! It tookme a few days to even really get a good idea on what was going on and where to hunt (I was hunting a farm that my buddy had never hunted, so I went in blind). Plus the weather was crazy warm in the afternoons every day last week. One day late in the week it was real cold early (23) and I was sweating big time by lunch (69). Incredible swing in temps. The deer didn't move until lateeach day so it was tough in the evenings. Saw one bruiser...probably a 150 8pt one morning, but he was about 100yds away in a field. I got to watch him for over 10mins though, so that was cool. Had about a 140 within about 40yds...but it wasn't right, and I don't like to shoot that far anyhow. Had about a 125 coming in to me one evening with plenty of light....coming to my doe call. All the sudden the farmer comes around the corner on a tractor and scares him off. [:@]I really believe I had that one getting ready to happen. He was at 50yds and closing, in a wide open cornfield. One of my hunting partners killed a 125-ish 9pt....put out a decoy one evening and dang if it didn't draw him right in. He had been seeing a few nice bucks cruising way out in the fields so thought what the heck. The buck saw the doe decoy (3d target) from about 250yds away and came running straight to it on a dead run. He wacked him, and he piled up 20yds away. LOL All in all, great hunt--saw alot of deer, 4 coyotes, plenty of turkeys and had a great time. Can't wait for next year- hopefully I'll go back.

ML season opens here tomorrow, so the deer will be spooky from here on out. Rifle season is right around the corner here as well....next week. I will still be trying for sure with my bow, all the way til Jan. Hopefully someone can get us on the board. I didn't go back and read all the posts, but I did see where a couple guysstuck one, but it didn't pan out. Hang in there guys...there's always tomorrow. It happens to the best of us for sure.I think we are gonnapour it on in the end! Good luck!

-Mike