HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do it yourself Deer Stand??
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 AM
r33h
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do it yourself Deer Stand??

I have built two or three stands up in a tree and they are very durable and safe. I got all the material for free...yes free. Get the wood and stuff like that from a local contractor who builds houses. You will be amazed at what they will throw away! I have put a plywood floor in my attic, I have twice the amount of wood to build a new workbench, and I have built a few tree stands with all the free material that I get.

Take some 2x4's or 2x6's and nail them to a tree where the tree has split (grows in different directions). Then I just take a strong durable pallet and put it ontop of my 2x4 platform and nail the pallet to the 2x4's. When I got it all done, get up there and give it a good "test". The ones that I have built are rock solid and I can get up there and jump on them and they don't even budge. Then I get some green/black/brown paint and camo it out. Right before the begining of the season, I go out and replace the pallet and inspect the 2x4's. I have one stand that is up that has the same 2x4's for at least five years and are still in great shape. Just paint or seal the wood to make it last longer.

However, this is work and it would be easier to buy a fifty dollar stand.