HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Drew307
Spike

Default RE: WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER

Buckhunter14,

I live in Iron River MI in the U.P. and hunt themonth Oct.up their. In the beginning of nov.I had downstate to stay with my dad and hunt the pre-rut in Washtenaw, Jackson, and Ingham counties unti firearm opener and then shotgun huntthrough Thanksgiving. Then come back up for muzzle loader season.I hunted a few times in Buffalo county Wis. on some friends private property, truly awesome experience. The land owners are definatelyseeing the results of QDM. My buddies neighbors were letting 140" class buckspass so they could grow. I saw some impressive racks and adhered to my own standards of shooting mature deer 125" or bigger. Judging the animals age is very difficult when you see anice rack.I have adopted the philosophy that if I am questioning its age and rack size, its too small for me to harvest. When you see a mature buck 3.5-5.5 years old you know it. The problem with the U.P. is ever since the big die off of 96' and 97' where hundreds of thousands of animals died due to starvation, because of severe winters, its slowly recovering. Then they re-introduce the wolves which the DNR claims only400-500 wolveskill 25,000-30,000 deer a year. I see more wolves than coyotes by my house and I live 3 miles out in the country! Their was a shirt a guy had that read " addicted to wolves, smoke a pack a day", I love that!